Choosing the right exterior door for your home is crucial for both aesthetic and functional reasons. Among the various door options available, a left hand outswing exterior door is gaining popularity due to its unique features and benefits. If you are considering upgrading your door or building a new home, this article will provide you with all the information you need to know about left hand outswing exterior doors in the year 2023.
What is a Left Hand Outswing Exterior Door?
A left hand outswing exterior door is a door that is hinged on the left side and swings outward when opened. This means that when facing the exterior of your home, the door handle will be on the right side and the hinges will be on the left side. This type of door is designed to open outwards to provide maximum security, durability, and convenience.
Benefits of a Left Hand Outswing Exterior Door
1. Enhanced Security: One of the primary benefits of a left hand outswing exterior door is the enhanced security it provides. Since the hinges are on the exterior, it makes it extremely difficult for intruders to remove the door from its frame.
2. Durability: Left hand outswing exterior doors are built to withstand harsh weather conditions, ensuring their longevity. The hinges and other hardware are designed to resist wear and tear, making them a durable option for your home.
3. Space-Saving: Unlike doors that swing inward, a left hand outswing exterior door doesn’t take up valuable space inside your home. This is especially beneficial if you have limited space in your entryway or if you want to maximize the usable area of your room.
When installing a left hand outswing exterior door, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:
1. Building Codes: Check your local building codes to ensure that an outswing door is allowed. Some areas may have specific regulations regarding the direction in which exterior doors should swing.
2. Accessibility: If you have family members with disabilities or mobility issues, consider the accessibility of an outswing door. In some cases, an inswing door may be more suitable to accommodate their needs.
3. Weatherstripping: Proper weatherstripping is crucial to prevent air leakage and maintain energy efficiency. Make sure to install high-quality weatherstripping to seal any gaps around the door frame.
Choosing the Right Left Hand Outswing Exterior Door
When selecting a left hand outswing exterior door for your home, consider the following factors:
1. Material: Left hand outswing exterior doors are available in various materials, including wood, fiberglass, and steel. Each material has its own advantages and considerations, so choose one that suits your preferences and budget.
2. Style and Design: Your door should complement the architectural style of your home. Consider the design, color, and decorative elements of the door to ensure it enhances the overall aesthetic appeal of your property.
3. Energy Efficiency: Look for doors with energy-efficient features, such as insulated cores and low-emissivity glass. These features will help to keep your home comfortable and reduce energy costs.
Maintenance Tips for Left Hand Outswing Exterior Doors
To ensure the longevity and functionality of your left hand outswing exterior door, follow these maintenance tips:
1. Regular Cleaning: Clean your door with a mild detergent and water to remove dirt and grime. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals that may damage the finish.
2. Lubrication: Periodically lubricate the hinges, lock, and other moving parts of your door to prevent them from sticking or becoming difficult to operate.
3. Inspect and Repair: Regularly inspect your door for any signs of damage, such as cracks, warping, or loose hardware. Address any issues promptly to prevent further damage and ensure the door’s integrity.
A left hand outswing exterior door is an excellent choice for homeowners looking for enhanced security, durability, and space-saving benefits. By considering the installation considerations, choosing the right door, and following proper maintenance, you can enjoy the advantages of a left hand outswing exterior door for many years to come. Upgrade your home with this stylish and practical door option in 2023!